Guilt-free Strawberry Shortcake Poke Cake
Updated: Nov 6, 2020
The absolute best strawberry cake I have ever had, and the most requested recipe on my Instagram to-date! (Inspired by Sabrina)
You won't believe how good this is, and if you like condensed milk as much as I do...you are in for a real treat!
Fresh strawberries: 1 lb (chopped, see Tips below)
Fresh pineapple: 10 oz (chopped, keep the juice)
Unsweetened applesauce: 1/2 cup
Vanilla cake mix: 1 standard size cake mix box. My fave: Dr. Oetker Organics Cake Mix!
Pineapple Dole Juice: 1/2 can
Strawberry sugar free "Jell-o" powder: 1 tablespoon. My fave: Simply Delish Strawberry Jell Dessert!
Fat free/skinny whipped topping: 3/4 cups. My fave: Truwhip!
Fat free Greek yogurt: 1/2 cup
Fat free condensed milk: 7 oz
Please check out my tips below before you begin :)
First, the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a bowl, mix yellow cake mix with eggs, fresh (chopped) pineapple and applesauce
3. Pour into a 9x13 nonstick pan (Pyrex oven-safe glassware is my fave)
4. Bake for 35 minutes
Second, the secret sauce:
5. Poke the cake with a fork
6. Mix one teaspoon of the jello powder into the condensed milk
7. Pour the condensed milk over the cake
Third, the "icing:"
8. Mix the remaining jello powder into the skinny whip and Greek yogurt
9. Spread over the cake
Fourth, the magic:
10. Garnish with strawberries
Number of Servings: 12
The key to getting those super vibrant, flavorful strawberries is to chop them up (into roughly 2-3 parts per strawberry), and to add a little bit of salt to them. Pop them into an airtight container and refrigerate.
*If they are not ripe enough, add 1 tablespoon of confectioners' sugar to the bowl of chopped strawberries and mix until completely combined.
To my WW (formerly WeightWatchers) friends: Find me on the @ww app for recipe share. Only 10 SmartPoints for serving (assuming 12 "squares" per pan).